Monday, February 4, 2013

When It's OK To Stuff Your Face

I love food. Of course you already know that, but seriously, I'm not picky at all and I'm not afraid to try different cuisines. Blue cheese, cucumbers, and kiwis are the only three foods that I can honestly say I don't like. So when my friend told me about this place called Veselka, I was curious to try Ukrainian food. It was a very spontaneous decision that we made around 3 am after Salsa dancing. We were looking for a 24-hour breakfast place and we couldn't have picked a better place than Veselka. The place was packed! It's obviously very popular, even at 3 am. I took this picture of the wall because it encouraged me to stuff my face.
While some people were gorging down the Ukrainian Meatball Hero sandwich, with mushroom gravy and sauerkraut on a challah bagel, and the Baczynski, which is polish ham with Ukrainian salami, podlaski cheese, and pickled vegetable relish on potato bread, I settled on pancakes. The pancakes are made from scratch! So, because of my love for Jack Johnson, I ordered banana pancakes. If you haven't noticed, breakfast food is my favorite and these pancakes were sooo good. They also have Ukrainian-style crepes called blintzes and buttermilk waffles made from scratch. And challah french toast! Yummmm! And of course, how could I forget oatmeal? Old-fashioned and slow cooked with milk. I have yet to try it but when I go back I'll order oatmeal with a warm mixed berry compote or a crunchy vanilla topping for $6.50. Breakfast food isn't all, however. Homemade soups, such as the Ukrainian borscht, and sandwiches among other specials are offered. Everything on the menu is so tempting that you're not going to be able to make up your mind. Oh and burgers! They have a traditional lamb & feta burger and appetizing Ukrainian specials like grilled kielbasa, goulash, beef stroganoff. I definitely have to go back. Comment on this and we'll go together! Either way, promise me you will go to Veselka. Traditional Ukranian soul food in the East Village, 144 Second Ave at the corner of 9th street. Grab your coat, gloves, a hat and go!




No comments:

Post a Comment